dual mugs

Police are looking for two Sharon residents in connection with a body found last month in an abandoned house on Baldwin Avenue.

Samantha Gregory, 24, and James M. Clarke, 32, both 1098 Baldwin Ave., are charged with abuse of a corpse and tampering with physical evidence in the case.

Sharon police said the pair moved the body of Dwayne Jordan and drug paraphernalia in an attempt to conceal his death.

Officers found Jordan’s body after being dispatched at 7:37 p.m. Sept. 24 to the abandoned house at 1098 Baldwin Ave. A witness said she saw text messages sent to an acquaintance that Jordan had overdosed and was left in the house. 

Mercer County Deputy Coroner Cris Loutzenhiser pronounced Jordan dead and police sent the body for an autopsy by Erie-based pathologist Dr. Eric Vey. He concluded that the death was not a homicide. 

The woman who received the messages told police that Clarke and Gregory came to her house and told her about Jordan’s death, according to an affidavit of probable cause.

The woman said Clarke told her about events that happened days before. She said on Sept. 22, Jordan was with Clarke and Gregory at 1098 Baldwin Avenue, where they were staying. She told police that Clarke sold Jordan heroin, which they both snorted. Jordan then overdosed and died. 

Police said Clarke and Gregory carried Jordan’s body to the basement and covered him with a sheet. The woman said Clarke and Gregory dismantled Jordan’s phone and put it in a clothes dryer in the kitchen.

Police said Clarke told the witness that he was planning to conceal Jordan’s death by burning the body.

Officers served a search warrant on the Baldwin residence and found a dismantled phone was inside a clothes dryer in the kitchen. There was also drug paraphernalia found in the house.

In the criminal complaint, police said they believe that Gregory and Clarke moved key evidence from Jordan’s body to conceal drug sales and drug use. The pair also treated the body in a manner that would have appalled Jordan’s family.

Police are waiting on toxicology reports, which could determine that the death was a drug overdose, Sharon police Capt. Travis Martwinski said. Results of the toxicology tests could take weeks.