• West Middlesex 5, Reynolds 1 – At West Middlesex, Richie Preston fired a complete-game 3-hitter with 9 strikeouts and no walks to lead the Big Reds to the Region 1 win.
Reynolds took a 1-0 lead in the top of the 3rd inning, but West Middlesex responded with a pair of runs in the bottom half of the inning to go up 2-1. The Reds tacked on 2 more runs in the 5th and 1 in the 6th.
Garrett Donaldson led West Middlesex at the plate with 3 hits, including a double, and 2 RBIs. Derrick Zappa singled and drove in a pair of runs and Eric Nehlen singled and had an RBI.
Haydin McLaughlin belted a solo home run for Reynolds, Patrick Belback doubled, and Noah Geiwitz singled.
Cameron Buckley (1 1/3 innings), Belback (2 2/3), Nolan Reichard (1 2/3) and Haden Obenrader split time on the mound for the Raiders. They combined on 5 strikeouts, issued 9 walks, and gave up 7 hits.
• Greenville 4, Sharon 3 (10. inn.) – At Packard Park in Greenville, the host Trojans tallied twice in the home half of the 7th stanza to tie the tilt at 3, then won it in the 10th for Coach Ben Brunetta.
For Greenville, Josh Ickes (6 1/3 innings 88 pitches, 51 for strikes, 8 hits, 3 runs – 1 earned – 2 strikeouts, 1 walk) and righty reliever Rufus Byler (3 2/3 scoreless innings, 66 pitches, 45 strikes, 3 hits, 2 walks, 3 KOs) shared the mound chores. Jack Strausser doubled and Bryce Stubert drove in a run.
Jason Stanek stroked a career-high 4 hits, including a double, and drove in a run and Marc Cattron connected for another 3 hits for Sharon, while Peyton Koss contributed 2 hits and tallied twice and Sully Brown also doubled home a run. Right-hander Mikey Rodriques (6 1/3 innings, 104 pitches, 69 for strikes, 3 hits, 3 runs – 2 earned) walked 3, but whiffed 11. Reliever Cole Voytk (3 1/3 innings, 74 pitches, 42 for strikes), struck out 6, walked 3 and yielded a run on 1 hit.
Sharon out-hit Greenville, 11-7, and both teams committed 3 miscues.
• Hickory 5, Meadville 1 – At Hornet Stadium, right-hander Joey Fazzone threw a complete-game 2-hitter, fanning 4 and walking 4 for the host Hornets in the Region 2 affair. Luca Bertolasio banged a home run, single and drove in a pair for Head Coach Bob States’ Hornets (12-4), while Fazzone aided his own cause by singling twice and scoring twice and Johnny Leedham launched a homer and drove in a pair/
Rocco Tartaglione and Cadian Holeva shared Meadville’s mound chores.
• Lakeview 14, Jamestown 9 – At Jamestown, the Sailors scored 7 runs in the final 2 innings to earn the Region 1 win over the Muskies.
For Lakeview, Chase Hostetler doubled, singled, and drove in 3 runs, Jackson Gadsby singled and had 3 RBIs, Lane Barber hit a 2-run single, Ted Shillito contributed 2 singles and 3 RBIs, and Mason Bevan doubled.
Shillito and Hostetler pitched for Lakeview. Shillito had 9 strikeouts, 2 walks, and gave up 5 runs on 6 hits in 5 innings of mound duty. Hostetler fanned 3, issued 1 walk, and surrendered 4 runs on 3 hits.
Jamestown stats were not reported to The Herald by deadline.
• Wilmington 8, Mercer 2 – At New Wilmington, the Hounds (14-1, 15-2) snapped a 1-all tie by plating 5 runs in the bottom of the 4th inning en route to the Region 1 victory.
Jaret Boyer tripled, doubled, and drove in a run for Wilmington, Shane Book hit a 2-run single, Garrett Heller singled and drove in a pair, Dom Serafino tripled, and Isaac Schleich was credited with an RBI.
For Mercer, Owen Sagulla had an RBI double, and Mike Stabile and Jullian Lawrence both singled.
Boyer (3 innings), Heller (1 2/3), and Schleich combined to pitch the 3-hitter. They struck out 8 batters and issued 4 walks.
Kellen Borowicz (2 2/3) and Lawrence pitched for Mercer. They whiffed 6 hitters, issued 8 walks, and only gave up 5 hits.
Wilmington is back in action on Wednesday for a huge Region 1 game against Sharpsville. The Hounds host the Blue Devils (13-0, 15-0) at 4 p.m.
Sharpsville is scheduled to host Conneaut (Ohio) at 4 p.m. today in Region 1 play at Kevin S. Yarabinec Memorial Field in South Py Twp.
• Grove City 12, Oil City 2 (5 inn.) – At Forese Field in Grove City, Dylan McElhinney tossed a 4-hitter with 6 strikeouts and no walks as the Eagles picked up the Region 2 win.
Oil City led 2-0 early, but Grove City scored 3 runs in the 2nd, 7 in the 3rd, and added 2 more runs in the 5th.
Isaac Criss belted a home run, singled, and drove in 4 runs for GC, Luke Tubbs doubled, singled, and had 2 RBIs, Michael Brooks singled twice and drove in a pair of runs, John Hake contributed an RBI double, Coldan Barr had an RBI single, Landon Haggart tripled and singled, and Mason Jones had an RBI.
Stats for Oil City were not reported to The Herald.
• Slippery Rock 5, Conneaut Area 4 – On Senior Night at Slippery Rock, Shane Thompson had 2 singles and 2 RBIs and Colin McCune singled and drove in a pair of runs to lead the Rockets past CASH in the Region 2 contest.
Slippery Rock took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the 2nd inning, but CASH tied the game at 1-all in the top of the 3rd. The Rockets went up 5-1 after plating 4 runs in the 3rd. The Eagles scored twice in the top of the 4th frame and 1 run in the 5th.
Ryan Montgomery doubled, singled, and drove in a run for Slippery Rock and Sal Mineo contributed a pair of singles.
McCune started and pitched 3 innings for the Rockets. He struck out 3, walked 1, and didn’t allow a hit. Nick Kingerski closed it out. He had no strikeouts, issued 2 walks, and gave up the 4 runs on 7 hits.
CASH stats were not reported to The Herald.
• Lakeview 17, Commodore Perry 0 (6 inn.) – At Sheakleyville, Izzy Chaffee and Jaide Bowmer combined to pitch a 2-hitter and Chaffee ripped 2 doubles, 3 singles, and drove in 3 runs as the Lady Sailors rolled in the Region 1 encounter.
Chaffee struck out 4, issued no walks, and gave up no hits in 3 innings on the mound. Bowmer fanned 2 and surrendered both hits.
Also for Lakeview, Sophia DiMaria tripled, singled, and drove in 3 runs, Sierra Williams doubled, hit 3 singles, and drove in a pair of runs, Danielle Sontheimer singled twice and had 2 RBIs, Ryleigh Booher had an RBI double, Reagan Booher contributed an RBI single, Bowmer doubled, singled, and drove in 2 runs, and Zoe Proper doubled.
Delaney Snyder doubled for Commodore Perry and Marley Meyer singled.
Faith Cox pitched for the Panthers. She struck out 3 batters, walked 5, and gave up 19 hits.
• Moniteau 15, West Middlesex 0 (4 inn.) – At West Sunbury, Moniteau standout pitcher Courtney Stewart fired an abbreviated 1-hitter and went 4-for-4 with 4 RBIs as the District 9 Warriors (11-4) defeated the Ms. Reds.
Stewart, who was coming off a 14-1 win over Redbank Valley on Friday when she tossed a 4-hitter and hit a 2-run homer, struck out 9 WM batters and only issued 1 walk.
Ava Gilmore struck out 2, walked 2, and gave up 14 hits for the Ms. Reds. She had her team’s only hit – a single.
WM is one of several spring sports teams scrambling to complete its Region 1 schedule before Thursday. The Reds visit Sharpsville for a doubleheader today (4 and 6 p.m.), play at Kennedy Catholic Wednesday (4 p.m.) and then hosts Mercer for Senior Night on Thursday (5 p.m.).
District 10 released the playoff brackets on Monday. Eighth-seeded Farrell travels to “The House of Thrills” in Meadville on Thursday to battle the top-seeded Bulldogs. The match starts at 6 p.m.
Second-seeded Cochranton advances to the semifinals since 7th-seeded Conneaut Area opted out (COVID-19 issues).
The other quarterfinal matches at 6 p.m. Thursday are 4th-seeded Cambridge Springs hosting 5th-seeded Erie First Christian Academy and 3rd-seeded Saegertown hosts 6th-seeded Rocky Grove.
The semifinals are next Tuesday and the championship match is on Thursday, May 27.